The Millions: Ask A Book Question: The Tenth in a Series: (Me no habla espanol)
 
The Millions.com

Back to Most Recent Posts


Tuesday, November 11, 2003

 

Ask A Book Question: The Tenth in a Series: (Me no habla espanol)

Brian needs our help:
max - the new Gabriel Garcia Marquez [Living to Tell the Tale] and Alvaro Mutis [The Mansion & Other Stories] books have gotten me interested in Spanish-speaking writers... throw the question up on your blog re: which is the best mario vargas llosa novel, which is the best one to start with, etc... also, julio cortazar... any
recommendations?

So, my experience with Spanish speaking writers is pretty much limited to Garcia Marquez, Mutis, and Borges. My question that I would add to Brian's question is: are there any other literary masters that come from the Latin American or Spanish tradition. For myself, I am just glad that I have saved a couple of Garcia Marquez's books to read so that I can forestall the inevitable sense of loss that I will feel once I have read everything he has written. As a side note, until now, I hadn't ever really thought about just how bittersweet it is reading everything by a beloved author. But anyway, folks, anyone out there who can help on this... please chime in and give us some advice by using the comments below.

A Year in Reading 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
Visit The Millions Book Review Index


Comments:

Rain of Gold By Victor Villensenor is lovely book. I have read all of Marquez's books and equally enjoyed Rain of Gold...

Post a Comment

Sponsor: