The Millions: A Year in Reading: Two Umbrellas
 
The Millions.com

Back to Most Recent Posts


Monday, December 11, 2006

 

A Year in Reading: Two Umbrellas

I discovered Season Evans' blog after she, a Philly native, gave me some advice about my new city. Now she's come through again with a post about the best books she read this year:
coverOn the top of my list is Play It As it Lays by Joan Didion. The focus is so strong and so sure and so meticulous. Each time I read anything she writes, whether it's a novel or an essay, I learn just a little bit more about the potency of precise narrative. The Dead Fish Museum by Charles D'Ambrosio came in a close second for its succinct and arresting prose style. In third place is Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson because it is the book I wanted to write.

Others:

Thanks Season!

A Year in Reading 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
Visit The Millions Book Review Index


Comments:


Post a Comment

Sponsor: